Friday, December 27, 2013

Mosaic Review: Hello Fresh



This last month we were given the opportunity to try something different that we had never experienced before. A food review! How could I not jump at the chance to try out food, especially healthy recipes that I might not normally try? Also, it is delivered directly to your door fresh. The food comes in a heavy duty insulated box with ice packs. It was plenty cold when it arrived and in fact I kept it in the box (closed) for a couple of hours as I initially couldn't put everything away. The arrival was especially nice the week before Christmas with all the scurrying around we did.



Hello Fresh has it all figured out in four easy steps. First they create yummy recipes that we discovered were very easy to make. Next, they do the shopping for you and then deliver the fresh ingredients along with the recipe directly to your door each Wednesday. It's all laid out for you and most of the recipes can be made in 30 minutes or less.


The first recipe we (okay, I admit hubby did this one) tried out was Sauteed Chicken with Ginger Parsnips & Carrots. This one was also my favorite! The combination of chicken, parsnips, and ginger was an unusual dish.... I have never tasted anything like it! We will definitely be repeating this recipe. My hubby made mine without almonds though as I am allergic to them. The good thing is they were sealed up so there was no cross contamination with the other foods.


(pictured with the almonds obviously)


The next recipe was Yogurt Marinated Shrimp. With this recipe I can honestly say this wouldn't have been a dish we would ever have chosen to make. But what was it my mom used to say? "Try it, you might like it!" (or maybe that was Dr. Seuss?) We did try it and it was very good! We do on occasion eat shrimp but the marinade used ingredients that we would never have thought to put together. The neat thing is most of the ingredients are included for each recipe with the exception of things like olive oil, salt and pepper which we always have in our kitchen.


 The third dish, which I made this time, was Classic Beef Stew with Chickpeas and Green Beans. In the cold months I make stew often but this recipe was completely different than my own. I have never added chickpeas to it before and very rarely green beans! I made this one on Christmas Eve at lunch and it made enough for all four of us but I added more beef broth than called for. The recipes we tried out were each two servings but this one somehow made more than enough for the kids, hubby, and I. It was very good but I admit that I still like mine better. Surprisingly, Z~girl loved the addition of lemon to the dish which I was even hesitant to add as I had never heard of it before. It definitely added a nice twang to the dish. 


Here is the cost per week:

Classic Box (3 meals)-
2 people $69
4 people $129

Veggie Box (3 meals)-
2 people $59
4 people $109

Shipping is always free!

The quality of the food was very good but for our budget it is too expensive. Still, it is cheaper (especially considering the gas to drive) than going somewhere nice to eat at a restaurant. The nice thing though is that there is no contract and no minimum monthly order, so if you wanted you could order the box once a month even. I can see Hello Fresh being a great gift idea for newlyweds or even new parents! 

If you are interested in trying out their service you can sign up now and use code XN6V7C at checkout to receive $20 off your first box.

 Here is where you can find Hello Fresh on the web-


Oh I forgot to add! Sometimes the boxes come with a little extra surprise! Ours came with a gift card to order wine online.

ClicktoRead

No comments:

Post a Comment