Monday, April 12, 2010

It's all about perspective

Today I decided to do some math review over things I thought (thought is the key word here) they knew. Z~girl did pretty good. A~man...it was as if he had never done it before. For A~man it was telling time up to each 15 minutes. NOPE. Also a worksheet with several coins to find the total and I also had real coins out as I know when he was tested last year he wasn't able to do it with unrealistic coin pictures. NOPE. He could still identify the coins and their value but not with several coins adding them together. He was frustrated and I was deflated like a balloon. See he wasn't being non compliant although he was a little spacey...I honestly think he forgot...along with a wee little Z~sister voice reminding me "do not fuss at him I think he is really trying!" (my voice of reason this morning) So I decided it was time for a break.

We stepped out into the sunshine, the warmth, the breeze and I know I exclaimed ahhhhhhhhh! PERFECT day. I walked the dog around the yard and remembered a different time when we first moved to this house gosh I think it has been 5 years. Back then Z was almost 4 and A was 6.5. In the last 5 years he has changed so much! I remember step MIL helping to watch the kids while we unloaded things. I remember coming outside and seeing A running from our yard to the house behind us that is quite a ways a way. MIL couldn't catch him so I caught him. This happened many times. I remember coming into his room one afternoon when he was taking a nap...or so I thought...to see him climbing out the window. This has been more recent but I remember the walls in his bedroom before we had them redone this past year. You see he had created 2 holes..(fist sized)...one beside his bed and one behind his door and picked and picked the wallpaper, the sheet rock paper all the way through the wall. Up untill a few years ago he was still "fingerpainting" (you do not want to know WHAT) all over his walls. He used to fling all kinds of things (again...not going into details) down the air/heating duct in his room causing the whole house to smell like....well you do not want to know. He used to constantly hug strangers...we have narrowed that down to friends although he needs to ask before grabbing people..what can I say he LOVES people. He no longer does these things! I need to internally celebrate that! He IS advancing, maturing, sure he has some new "issues" but thank goodness these old ones are past us! I have no doubt he will be able to learn basic math...how to use money...tell time I KNOW he has the ability...but it is on his schedule not mine. (Joy repeat this 100 times "his schedule") I truly believe he will keep advancing on his reading...s l o w l y...but he will be able to read functionally as an adult. I WILL insure this. ;) I also need to celebrate his knowing and understanding about God...He is growing up to be a Godly, caring, sympathetic man. I love him so much!

Here is a picture. Most I put on my blog I have taken but this one was taken by a good friend this winter.



10 comments:

  1. Have you tried graphing some coins with him using real coins? I have a terrific graph sheet you can use. Another thing you might try is to play store. Price simple items that he can "buy" with coins. Once he knows the amount. Be sure to start out simple.

    Also, I got my Master's Degree in reading. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

    Blessings to you my sister in Christ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both kids LOVE to play store. It seems like once it's on paper something is lost in retaining the info. I would love a graph sheet. We haven't worked a lot on graphing!

    For reading I use a mix of things. Sight words, word families, phonics...it's a slow process but I know it will be worth it when he is an adult. I pray God will help me assist the children in reaching their full potential. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you love that little man. And, you are right it will be his timing and His perfect timing. Keep courage:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've captured their spirits in this photo. Beautiful. Of course you can be in the swap for Mother's Day. I'm delighted to have you, please go back and sign up with MacLinky. Hugs, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious, precious post. It IS so important to see the progress, and not always focus on the current problems. I have to remind myself that, too. My little guy who used to think nothing of running out into the road - - cars be darned - - now can walk to the coffee shop by himself. Kudos to A~man and his incredible family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the sweetest story I have ever seen. You are such a good mom!! You are totally on track to about the waiting part. It took me a long time to learn that lesson when I started home school 22 years ago. I admire you more than I can say! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for visiting my sewing blog. I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my everyday graces today. A friend coming to visit is a sure-fire way to get a clean house~ but I'm sure she'll love ya either way;)

    The paint color is Benjamin Moore... I think it is called monarch gold, it is a heritage color. I love it because it really looks different depending on lighting and time of day. Sometimes it looks almost chocolate. It has been a really easy color to decorate with too.

    I hope you have found some peace this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I featured your post on my Top Ten Best POSTs This Week. It's a wonderful story.

    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Over Yonder" Oh, what memories that saying gives me! That was one of my mom's favorite things to say when she was trying to tell someone where something was. I remember a particular instance when she had told someone that and they had looked at her with question in their eyes and asked, "Whizzy, were is yonder?"
    I honor your quest to teach your children at their own pace. Just know that when your son learns something and then remembers that something, he is just as proud of himself as you are of him. When that light comes on in his eyes, CELEBRATE IT!

    ReplyDelete