Sunday, January 29, 2012

~Great Thoughts~



There are so many different variations and ways to homeschool. Some families homeschool using only religious curriculum while others prefer keeping religion out of their education and choose a more secular education approach. How does my family homeschool? We use a more ecclectic approach which is a mix of a little this and a little that. I love to run across something in a blog or in a book and use it for our school.

 Recently I read the sweetest story that I picked to do a review for. The book is " Schoolroom in the Parlor" by Rebecca Caudill. The book was written in 1959 and tells of a much simpler time period of the early 1900's. You can go to Homeschool Literature if you would like to read the review. My favorite part of the book is something I'm going to try and implement in our home. The big sister that was teaching the younger children each morning would start the day with a "Great Thought". These were words of wisdom that great men had thought. Althy the older sister said "Whenever you learn a great thought, you can think it, too. A great thought is something nobody can take from you." Here are some examples from the book- "Don't give up the ship. A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches. A merry heart doeth good like medicine." She would tell the great thought to the children and they would memorize it then talk about it. After that the next oldest sister would write the quote in her tablet so the younger sisters could copy it into their tablets.

I LOVE that! So I'm going to find a few a week and do the same thing. I have all kinds of favorite quotes stirring through my mind. I'll try and and share some that I choose this week.

1 comment:

  1. I love the great thoughts.....I try and mention great phrases or ideas everyday..up to me to find them!!

    ReplyDelete