Saturday, February 15, 2014

SNOW DAYS!

 It was a very unusual week here in WNC! I think it has been a couple of years since we have experienced a significant amount of snow fall. I LOVE SNOW! I was pessimistic though as I have been hearing forecasts of snow for a couple of weeks with nothing to show. It started out with a day that it snowed these HUGE beautiful flakes all day long but nothing stuck as the ground must have been too warm. I think my nose was stuck to the window about as much as Z~girls, just hoping for some snow to play in. Finally, on Wednesday I think we got 2-3 inches. 


Which was just enough snow to cover the ground so we could go sledding. (yes I went too!) But then...


We got another 5 or so inches the next day. I can only remember this much snow one time since living in our home and we have been here about 8 years. 


For dinner I made chicken soup with homemade noodles. I do not have a recipe for the soup as I just sort of throw stuff together (my granma would be proud!) but here is the very easy noodle recipe I used. (which I found here
Noodles
1 egg
1 Tablespoon of milk
Approximately 1 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt

My only regret was not making a larger recipe so we would have leftovers!

What did I make with the soup? Homemade bread. I've never tried this recipe before and it was amazing


You may notice that both heels are cut off the bread. I cut this loaf in half as I sent Z~girl across the street to our sweet neighbor friends house with a mason jar of soup and part of our loaf of bread. (along with some other goodies) The other heel? Well, I had to taste it to make sure it was good enough to give to my family. (that's my excuse at least, okay?)

Last but certainly not least...

I think I may have made this once before kids but we also made the yummiest SNOW CREAM!!




What we did is put that big metal bowl outside in a deck chair and after a few hours it was full. Then Z~girl and I added approximately a half a cup of milk and a half a cup of sweetened condensed milk, plus a generous splash of real vanilla extract. IT WAS SO GOOD!

Even more amazing this week was the fact that even though we spent a lot of time playing in the snow, making new recipes, and watching Netflix....we still did school! My duo are obviously too old for kindergarten homeschool science  but this weather was perfect for talking about temperature, precipitation, and oddly enough after the earthquake last night, seismic activity...we had lots of hands on science. Check out my husband Techdadz blog too as he did a fun science project with the kids also! He made a little bot type creature similar to a Hexbug toy.  Plus they were quick to finish up the rest of their online work so they could play outside. Definitely a win/win situation!!


I'm also very glad I took the time to PLAY with my kids!

1 comment:

  1. We had more snow days this week too! Loved the photos of your wee ones having fun. :)

    ReplyDelete