Thursday, August 22, 2013

TOS Review~Let’s Measure It Project Pack from In the Hands of a Child

 photo handsofachildlogo_zps7221e2e2.jpg

What is a lapbook? Generally a lapbook is an educational method that involves making "mini-books" about a subject that a child is learning about. Inside these books is space for a timeline, vocabulary words, pictures, graphs, drawings and sometimes places for the child to write about the subject. In our 7+ years of homeschooling I have only made a couple and it has been a few years since the last one I made. When I was given the chance to do a review on In the Hands of a Child's Let's Measure it Project Pack I thought it would be a fun refresher for me, plus measuring is something that my son who has special needs could use some refreshing on. This particular lapbook is for grades K-3 but even though my son is older it was very applicable for him.

Let's Measure It Curriculum


I am going to list some pros and cons I found while trying out this lapbook:

Pros:
  • A very "hands on" way to learn, which would be great for a variety of learners.
  • The student can participate in creating the project.
  • You could use the same lapbook with various ages of kids making it a great "together" type project for your family.
  • Lapbooks are a great way to include a variety of subjects into one project.
  • The books would be a convenient  way to come back and review a subject in the future.
  • They could be kept and passed down to younger siblings in years to come.
  • Very portable. I can see them being an awesome way to bring learning along with you in the car!
  • In the Hands of a Child simplifies it as all you have to do is print it out. (well and then put it together)


Cons:

  • Here is the main con I found. They take a LONG time to make, at least for me, haha. I did most of the cutting for this one and when I do another I will let (make) the kids do more of the cutting.
  • Depending on how you went about it lapbooks could be a bit expensive. (We are on a tight budget right now) I bought colored folders and colored paper and next time will probably do some laminating. I am sure they could be done less expensively but I love color and I know for my son especially it keeps things interesting to have the color contrast. So...I guess you could say if you did it the way I want to do them, it could be a little expensive. ;)



Will I make another lapbook again?

YES! I already have a state one that I am going to start making (with a little more child labor ;) before we go on a vacation to a state the kids and hubby have never been to. 

What is the price to buy a lapbook from In the Hands of a Child and what grades are they appropriate for? 
In the Hands of a Child has various lapbook and notepack options for all grades including high school and have over 450 different subjects to choose from. They are having a special right now for the month of August and many of their products, including Let's Measure It, are on sale for $5...which I think is an excellent price for the download we got. Check out the other reviews as there are several separate lapbooks that were reviewed by the Schoolhouse Review Crew!


Photobucket

 photo Disclaimer2_zpsff718028.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment