Sunday, May 19, 2013

Now I know...

that committing to blog every day for a month is just not a doable thing for this mama. That's okay as I am still enjoying the daily's as a nice writing prompt. I also know this now...taking care of yourself is imperative while caring for your children, especially when a child has extra needs. Wednesday I went to urgent care with increasing chest pains...thankfully only to find I had asthmatic bronchitis and was also having a lovely panic attack. 6 years ago I had something similar but it included an ambulance ride. Both hubby and I are making it a priority to catch back up on some things that have been put on the back burner with our own health. As the saying goes, Put on your own oxygen mask before assisting others.

 

Day 11, Saturday: Sell yourself in 10 words or less

Creative, funny, quiet, homeschool resources (hopefully), caring, artistic, empathetic, silly at times, and a good listener when given the chance. 

Day 12, Sunday: What do you miss? (a person, a thing, a place, a time of your life...)

Hmmmm. This is a hard one as I try not to live in the past but I do miss my grandma V. This was my father's mother. If I ever had a kindred spirit..looking back, she was it. When I was little I spent many weekends at her house either with a niece/nephew, with my cousins, or just her and I. I have never met anyone as kind and loving with a child as she was. She had to have been at least 60 when I was born but that dear woman played hide and seek with me, made handmade picture books for her grandchildren, kept clothes just my size at her house (somehow this amazed me as a child), she continually sewed my baby dolls back together (I carried baby dolls with me everywhere and wore them out in the process), made pineapple cookies, and the best scrambled eggs ever. (well my Z~girl is a close second) She had one of those old time sewing machines that you had to pump to make it go. Thus started my sewing machine obsession early in life. Also, I credit her with my joy of walking daily. We would walk all over her neighborhood and often end up at Dairy Queen when we were done. Here she is when she was a little girl in the early 1900's ( I am fascinated by this period in time btw) She is the young girl with dark hair on the right.


*****

I had originally planned to continue on with our formal school work until the middle of June. I also came to the realization that my daughter technically would be entering 7th grade if she were in regular school. Of course anyone that homeschools knows the benefit of not depending on "grade levels". I have been wanting certain things finished up before we took a short summer break. Then I came to my senses and remembered that our homeschool doesn't operate the way the public school does. It isn't a race. Yes, we have testing in June but that is completely (at least for us) for state requirements only. So...this homeschool mama is going to make our break start at the end of the month. (instead of the mid of next month) Thankfully the principal of our school is very supportive of my decision. June will welcome in a whole lot of outside fun. Let the unschooling begin!!!

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute pic! I adore old photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing prompts. It's a great way to get to know a person.

    I know, it's very difficult to blog every single day. Trust me. I'm up in the middle of the night - and tired. It's difficult keeping up and all that. However, it is great finding gems like this blog here. I look forward to staying connected!

    Homeschooling is a journey, and not a competition. I have people all around me that don't understand. It's about what is good for the students and the Mom/Dad. I believe learning is life long. It happens all the time. We go through the summer (a very relaxed schedule). But our whole year is pretty relaxed. I don't teach when I don't feel like it's going to be a good learning day/good teaching day. Stopping in May or stopping in June - what's the difference? You decide what's right and do it!

    This is one of the many beauties of homeschooling.

    It's all about what makes your kids learn best.

    ReplyDelete