Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

It was an overly emotional day for me...lol..as I have PMS. There, I admit it. But overall it was awesome. Last night my sweet son bought me a coffee at Starbucks and a Reese's candy bar. The boy knows I love chocolate and coffee. (although I do not eat chocolate very often) It was a nice treat. Z~girl was at camp all weekend and if I (and she...although she had fun) had it to do over I would not have had her gone for most of Mother's day. Do you know what my sweet girl did though? Out of her own bank account she payed for half of my Mother's day gift. (she wanted to pay all but daddy wouldn't let her) What? I wanted a picnic table. My girl has a heart of gold. My sweet hubby gave me roses which I really love.

Onto the daily post that I am behind in. I will eventually catch up.

Day 8, Wednesday: A piece of advice you have for others. Anything at all.

I am going to make this Prader-Willi specific even though it applies to all children. When your child is very young, make exercise a part of your daily routine. Since before our son could walk we have went for walks many times a week. This is something we have always done. Now at 13, when the weather is pleasant we all walk 3-4 miles a day 4-5 times a week. If the weather is not good we take the kids swimming. They love the physical activity and on their own ask on the rare occasion we do not exercise for awhile...they both suggest it. 

Does this mean I am in perfect shape? haha. No. Which brings me to the other part of advice that I myself am working on. Be a good example physically. Before children I was underweight. I am sure, due to stress, I am an awful night time snacker and need to lose some weight. How can I be controlling my son's food intake (when he by the way is very slim) when I need to lose 20 pounds? I feel like a hypocrite and this is something I am working on. I have discovered that after 35 years my metabolism changed. Not only do I need to keep exercising but I also need to watch my own intake. I am 5 pounds down with 20 to go.

Day 9, Thursday: A moment in your day (this can be just a photo or both a photo and words)



My favorite photo ever. This was taken 12 (I think?) years ago. It was taken by my father in law who passed away when A was 5 and Z was 3. I'm thinking it was taken around or on Mother's Day. I was so happy. Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to be a mama. That was my all time wish. That wish was not a simple one though as 9 years into our marriage and after at least one miscarriage it just wasn't happening and I was told I could not conceive without IVF. So we pursued foster care. We were placed with a very medically fragile 4.5 month old that they were not sure was going to live. (He is probably 18 months in the photo...they are 22 months apart) Due to his high needs and his birth mom's own challenges she was not able to care for him. (although she loved him dearly) Both hubby and I had training in caring for individuals with disabilities so he was placed with us. This picture? It shows my beautiful miracle son on my lap and behind him is my beautiful miracle girl in my tummy. Mommyhood ACHIEVED!

Who says Mother's day has to be one day? haha I think we will have a light homeschool day tomorrow and A~man will do his reading program and work on ABC order. Z is working at the barn tomorrow and I may do some fun art games with her. Other than that...I'm going to make it a happy day spent with my children that I feel so blessed to have!

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely photo. Happy Mother's Day. I am enjoying your new blogging project and reading about your thoughts. I share many of the same feelings! Have a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific photo! So much sentiment and special meaning... :D

    Glad that you enjoyed your Mother's Day!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete