Sunday, April 7, 2013

10 Homeschool Writing Resources

I am always on the lookout for new ways to teach the same thing. With the end of the "school year" drawing near the kids are often bored by now of the things we started the year out doing....even when they may not be mastered yet. (we normally take a portion of the summer off and just do some unschooling) So I have been on the lookout for some new writing resources. Here is a list I have compiled of resources and ideas I hope to be trying out soon.

  • Fun Writing Games for KidsCheck out these fun writing games for kids. Enjoy a range of free activities,resources and practice exercises related to writing letters, stories, newspapers, debates, advertising and instructions.

  • Scribblitt- Kids write and publish their own stories.

  • Write rhymes- As you write, hold he alt key and click on a word to find a rhyme for it.


  • For your older child help them create their very own blog. I have been trying to convince my 11 yea old daughter to do this. Of course I would supervise with an activity like this.


  • Inspire young writers- These resources promote writing across subject areas and cover everything from grammar basics to fantasy-writing inspiration.

  • keyboarding games- Learning keyboarding skills is vital for today's learners and tomorrow's earners. These free typing games are a great way to build typing skills.

  • Journal Buddies has lists of journal prompts listed by subject and grade.

  • Set up an email account for your child. This is something I haven't done yet but would like to as so many of our friends and family live far away. I do recommend g-mail for kids though, as there is virtually no spam or inappropriate advertisements.
What type of creative writing activities do you do with your children?

2 comments:

  1. I love gmail for my boys. Like you said, their spam filters are excellent and I was able to set it up so every email that comes to my boys' inboxes gets forwarded to me as well. That way I can tell if something that is coming through is inappropriate or needs my attention. :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this list, it is an excellent resource.

    ReplyDelete