Sunday, April 21, 2013

Geography Club




I thought I would post a few pictures from geography club last week. Yes, we all survived and everything got done. As you can see at least Z~girl was smiling. A~man wasn't unhappy btw, but surprisingly my very outgoing son gets very nervous in front of a group and my more quiet and a bit shy daughter does not. (she must have gotten that attribute from her daddy) Both kids love to learn about geography and it really has helped to use geography games as well as more hands on activities like the geography club we belong too. I did not get this type of public speaking opportunities when I was a child which I believe is very beneficial!


If you read the comment I put in my previous post you will see that I made the banana cake. BUT I left out a very important ingredient. SUGAR. Yep, I made a cake without sugar. The funny thing? My kids didn't notice as we do not eat a lot of sweets and when I typically make banana bread I sweeten it with a bit of honey and also use unsweetened applesauce in it. I did notice a few murmurs and uneaten bread by other children. Sometimes you just have to laugh though.

Here is the recipe in case anyone would like to try it. Banana cake is thought to perhaps have originated in Papua New Guinea so that is why we chose it.

Banana Cake

  • 3/4 cup of butter
  • 1 1/2 cups of white sugar (this seems like a lot, if I remade I would use half that amount)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 3/4 cup of milk
  • 1 cup of mashed bananas
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  1. In a large bowl, mix together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
  2. In another bowl, sift together flour, salt, soda and baking powder. (I also added a bit of cinnamon to this) Add these ingredients to the creamed mixture. Add milk and bananas to the batter. Beat together well.
  3. Grease (I used coconut oil) a 9x9 square pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. 
Oh and that super clean house pictured is not my own. I'm not sure how that mama keeps her house that clean but mine is NOT. My talents are elsewhere.

Next week hopefully will not be quite as busy as last week. Sometimes it is so nice to have a homeschool week where you mainly stay home. We will get our "school work" done in the morning and I may even play a hig pig game with A~man. Lately our afternoons have been spent outside exploring and watching our chickens that are so entertaining. Hopefully I will get a post on here soon with photos of our 5 hens and our rooster named Megan...so stay tuned! 






1 comment:

  1. Z looks like she's grown 3 inches in the last week! I can't believe how fast she's growing!!

    ReplyDelete