Friday, December 13, 2013

Book Review~Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

I have decided that on Fridays I am going to share some book reviews in my blog. Of course "life happens sometimes, and things change" as I tell A~man, but I would like to give it a go! I have been fortunate to get a few new books to review recently for Homeschoolliterature.com. For those books I will give you a bit of a teaser and provide a link to go check out the book yourself. I also have a couple of books by local authors that I will share directly in my blog, one of which is an author who has Prader-Willi Syndrome just like A~man! So onto my first Friday review!


This first book is written by an author who was homeschooled, Faith Erin Hicks. (check out her cool website if you get a chance!)  It's actually a graphic novel and as you can see she is a very talented illustrator too! Growing up I always enjoyed reading comic books in addition to books. Sure, it was never a huge literary masterpiece but nonetheless it was great entertainment for a teen or younger child. It has been many years since I have read a comic book so when I got the chance to read the graphic novel, written and illustrated by Faith Erin Hicks, it definitely piqued my interest.

Friends With Boys tells of Maggie who had been homeschooled her whole life, along with her three brothers but was about to embark on a whole new world, high school. She would have much rather stayed at home but she had no choice as her mother had left the family. She was the youngest in her family so her brothers had already entered this new world and sometimes had wisdom and direction for her (sometimes they didn't). She was pretty naive to the socialization that occurred within the walls of the school and had to learn more than her books could teach her.


Do you wanna read more of what I thought about this book? You know you do so hop on over to the complete review of Friends With Boys. Oh and if you or your older child do read it I would love to know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment