Sunday, December 18, 2011

I confess...



Since we started in the fall I have really been lax about reading aloud to A and Z. Now with Z this just means she reads independently but A~man will not. (at least not that I have observed although he does like to look at picture books and magazines alone) For him he is still learning to read bigger and more advanced words and it is always two steps forward one step back with him. He has to read with his online curriculum and he has to read independently to his dad and I but reading aloud to both children with words they might not know yet gives them the perfect opportunity to ask what new words mean. Besides reading together is such good family time!

So..after Christmas (right now we are trying to finish up some math before we take a week break) I'm going to start reading either Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming (A~man's current favorite movie hahah) or the Borrowers by Mary Norton. I still haven't decided yet but I picked those as I know Z hasn't read either of them yet and I know they would both be interested in them. There is even a literature word list already made at spelling city that I will be including in their lessons.

Since we are talking about books make sure and check out Homeschoolliterature.com! The books on that site are about homeschoolers and there is something for any age. Plus I have a few reviews over there that I have done on some excellent books!

HAPPY READING!!

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever read Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...amazing...a childrens book I've missed! But I do love the Borrowers. Could I come sit in on your read-aloud sessions??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon over TT! It's gonna be the Borrowers first though as Chitty Chitty isn't out on kindle but the Borrowers is. ;^P I also found a unit study to go along with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you read to your kids even after they can read themselves! We read forever and I feel like my youngest missed out as we got so busy with sporting events and boys working. I read Chronicles of Narnia, RedWall, Lord of the Rings and Little House on the Prairie series to name a few. They were always "too young" for those books according to some but they loved it.

    ReplyDelete